In The Beginning ...

... there were healthy feet. This blog will track my journey to Africa, Australia and New Zealand - the fulfillment of a childhood dream of climbing Kilimanjaro, and the experience of a dream adventure: making safari and exploring a bit of our world.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

To Wellington and Picton, then the first bits of Nelson

Before leaving Taupo, I had to try an Irish bar. Great sense of humor, which I enjoyed a lot, but what's wrong with Cardiff?





































































I need to mention that, on the way out of Taupo, the bus driver made a photo stop because Ngauruhoe (first pic) and Ruapehu were visible at just the moment we were passing. Shortly thereafter, they were both once again ensconced in clouds.
















































I stopped in Wellington for a few hours until the ferry left, late in the afternoon. It was a windy passage, but (as it turned out) nowhere near as windy as the next morning. Plus, I got a shot of the sunset over Picton.







I'm not sure I posted a pic of this building before. It's the second largest wooden building in the world, originally commissioned as the House of Parliament. The bid for a concrete structure was 64,000 Pounds. The bid for a wooden structure was 59,000 Pounds, so it "won." Unfortunately, cost overruns were so extreme that the government never held an official opening and never revealed the final cost to the public. It now houses the law school of the Univ. of Victoria.



























The sunset coming into Picton dock.
























I decided to go to Picton that night versus staying again in Wellington so I could experience Picton's highest BBH-rated hostel - Tombstone Backpackers. It is so-named because it sits opposite the Picton Cemetery. [NO jokes about being a quiet place for a hostel.] The owners came up with the name for this street & the subsequent street signage. Way clever.


















































The hostel's front door. Don't you just love people with a wry sense of humor?


































A shot glass found on Tombstone's shelf: Works for me.




























Picton harbor at dusk.





















On the road to Nelson, we passed through Pelorus. I got part way down the track, and shot a small suspension bridge. It's not nearly as long or as high above the gorge as the famous Pelorus swing bridge. These bridges don't so much swing as they oscillate up and down. Half way across I felt like I was at sea in a small boat, and turned around. Not fun.

























No comments: