In The Beginning ...

... there were healthy feet. This blog will track my journey to Africa, Australia and New Zealand - the fulfillment of a childhood dream of climbing Kilimanjaro, and the experience of a dream adventure: making safari and exploring a bit of our world.

Monday, September 3, 2007

From the Mara to Joburg

South African Airlines is OK with me, and I flew from Nairobi to Joburg with no problems. Everyone here calls it "Joburg." I was very much unimpressed with the airport, there, however. For such a large city (one of the fastest growing in the world), and despite electronic displays and ticketing, their airport needs a serious overhaul. Or a totally new facility. Lots and lots of traffic through there, and pitiful signage. Lots of police, who assure you that everything will be all right, but no real answers when you ask for information.

For me, it was the first real glitch in the travel adventure. My bags were checked through to Maun, which I hadn't realized, so I couldn't retrieve them for repacking. Oh-oh, I thought: Botswana Airlines has a lower weight limit that South African Air. Would they accept my bags without my repacking and leaving some stuff in Joburg? It was a worrisome night.

It turned out that my "fretting" was for naught because whern I got to Maun I learned that my bags did not. So, now I could worry about whether I would ever see my bags ever again! But Oriental Express was on the ball and my bags were forwarded to the Kwai River Camp - my second stop. I spent one afternoon and the next morning at the Eagle Island Camp, so I didn't miss my clothes too much as I had a change of undies. But Eagle River was a bust for anything other than birds - which was pretty much OK with me but not for the other clients.

Kwai River was a very nice place and well run. I'm now at the Savute ("sah-VOO-tee") Camp and I like the facilities much better I have 3 nights here before going back to Maun and Joburgh. Believe me, I'll make sure my bags are only checked through to Joburg so I can check them into Qantas myself for the flight to Sydney on the 6th.

Here is a photo of the Sun International in Joburg and the room. Very plush. I know you're going to say I have an unhealthy fascination with toilet facilities, but they are different around the world. The Sun had one with two choices for flushing: a small flush and a big flush. I thought this to be quite practical.

1 comment:

ThosEM said...

I hope you're no going to tell me that's a tent, too!?

I'm another that occasionally photographs toilets. You should see the instrument panels on the ones in Japan!?

Really great wildlife photos, some from the balloon, I guess.

I'll keep reading...