In The Beginning ...

... there were healthy feet. This blog will track my journey to Africa, Australia and New Zealand - the fulfillment of a childhood dream of climbing Kilimanjaro, and the experience of a dream adventure: making safari and exploring a bit of our world.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

British Cuisine

I haven't eaten in a college cafeteria in almost 40 years, so breakfast was a blast from the past. There was a large group of theater students staying at the residence (we're 1 - 2 blocks from the central theater district, as opposed to the west end district) as well as a convention for student organization fund raising (multinational). So, I learned that this residence is operated as a B & B for most of the year, as an investment by the London School of Economics. There must have been 450 people staying here, all having breakfast at about the same time.

Advertised as a "Full English Breakfast," it consisted of several choices of fruit, including a tropical mix (from a can - probably Del Monte's), eggs (rather pale - not as pale as egg whites but not much yellow in them. Different kind of hens, here across the pond?), small waffles (one per person, if you please), several other kinds of breads, sausage and ham (sausages crisp on the outside and unusually soft and chewy on the inside. Beef versus pork?), cereal (with "semi-skimmed milk"), and that English breakfast staple - baked beans (!). I had my first cup of PG Tips in years = one of my favorite teas.

I got in near 11 pm last night, just as 3 young ladies from the theater group (Utica, NY, judging from their sweatshirts) were about to leave for a bar. They were told that their was an 11 pm curfew for their group and that "quiet hours" also began at 11. The ladies were clearly stunned and argued with what I guessed were local hosts. They were very "cheeky."

The next day, Sunday, I strode across the new London Bridge. To the east is the Tower Bridge, which leads to (duh) The Tower of London. I walked quite a bit to keep my calloused feet in shape for the upcoming Kili climb (or so I rationalized) and took lots of pictures, only some of which are posted herein.

I heard many different tongues as I walked, very few British, to my surprise. Maybe the Brits didn't have as much reason to speak to each other as we foreigners did. I helped couples and families take pictures and asked a few times to have them snap one of me. I met several Americans, who for the most part did not fit the stereotype tourist abroad.

Boy, there sure are a lot of foreign cars here.

As for the pics of the London Eye, no I didn't go up. Not just "no" = "hell, no."

No comments: