In The Beginning ...

... there were healthy feet. This blog will track my journey to Africa, Australia and New Zealand - the fulfillment of a childhood dream of climbing Kilimanjaro, and the experience of a dream adventure: making safari and exploring a bit of our world.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Maasai Mara

It is now Sunday in Kenya, almost 10 pm as I write. We are 9 hours ahead of you, here, so it is 1 pm Colorado time.

We were flown from Nairobi in a twin-engine prop that held about 20 passengers. It was rocking and rolling through the clouds as we flew, but it was still much better than a single engine Cessna. At least my head never hit the ceiling.

After landing on a dirt runway, we were greeted by Maasai in traditional dress, who carried our bags to waiting safari vehicles. Talk about a contrast of cultures. My camera batteries died on the plan, and the replacements were in my checked bag, so I had to wait to refill the camera. We put our bags in our tents and immediately left for a game drive. Gazelle, zebra, hartebeest, a Secretary Bird (see below), hyena, obi, and the crowning touch - cheetah lounging in the grass.












The Mara Safari Club is quite posh. The crowd of about 100 is a mix of young and old, with several family clusters or clusters of friends with their respective families. The evening meal was excellent, with a choice only between two main dishes and two desserts - meaning a set appetizer and soup. The menu brags about their wine selection, but I'll save that for lunch tomorrow.

The day starts with a 6:30 game drive, followed by breakfast at 8:30. Then another drive at 3:30, with dinner at 8. Late for me, but what the heck. Tuesday there's a good chance I'll take a balloon ride, if there's room in the basket. That starts at 5 am or so and includes a champagne breakfast on the African plains.

One real surprise at dinner - the Club has a cat that roams through the dining hall. If allowed by the patrons, it will readily jump into a lap and investigate the plates on the table. The guests seemed to think this was charming, but I found it in poor taste for lodging that advertises itself as "premier."

I am feeling great about how well things have worked out, and how well I am being treated by tour agents, lodging staffs, and my fellow travelers. I hope I've been a good representative of the U.S. of A.

Tonight it's going to sleep to the sounds of tree hyrax, to be awakened in the morning by the hippos in the river just beyond my tent. The "tent" is heavy canvas, with tile floors and a full bath. With accommodations like this, no one would resist "tent camping."

No comments: