In The Beginning ...

... there were healthy feet. This blog will track my journey to Africa, Australia and New Zealand - the fulfillment of a childhood dream of climbing Kilimanjaro, and the experience of a dream adventure: making safari and exploring a bit of our world.

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Backpackers' Hostels

I've stayed at a few hostels, generically referred to as "Backpackers." The earlier ones were along the southern coast, and since the season was early, the dorms weren't full (I was the only male for most bookings) and I found them quite comfortable, if quite basic. Later, I opted for a double room with ensuite (private bath). The one in Adelaide got noisy on Friday & Saturday nights, but it was only moderately irritating.

Here in Sydney, I stayed at the Great Aussie Backpackers (because the one next door, recommended by Lonely Planet, did not have a private room available). Almost all of Great Aussie's rooms open onto or face an enclosed courtyard. Quiet hours are supposed to start at 10:30 pm. However, they were not enforced the night I stayed there.

After complaining to the owner and obtaining a refund for the nights I had pre-booked (you have to pay for all in advance), I went up the street to a hotel. More expensive, obviously, but a better night's sleep.

This is the start of the summer season, and Germans, Scandinavians, French, British and Spanish youngins are arriving by the bus and planeload. They are into partying all night (unlike in the USA, the bars stay open as late as 5 a.m. Yup - 5 a.m.) and letting everyone around them know what a good time they are having. I felt like throwing up on them from my upstairs window, at 2 a.m., 3 a.m. and 4 a.m., when they trickled back to what I will always refer to as "the crash pad for drunks."

I'm now quite wary of staying at another backpackers, but will probably give it a try if I can get one recommended by Lonely Planet as quiet. Most cater to the younger crowd, who not only have more stamina than I but who apparently sleep through anything.

Oh yes - and I chose this particular hostel also because of its location - right near a train station and within walking distance of a few sites, including the harbour. It turns out that this section of the city also includes the Red District, just one street over. Is Sydney called The Amsterdam of the Southern Hemisphere???

No comments: