In The Beginning ...

... there were healthy feet. This blog will track my journey to Africa, Australia and New Zealand - the fulfillment of a childhood dream of climbing Kilimanjaro, and the experience of a dream adventure: making safari and exploring a bit of our world.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Wellington, part 1

The parliament building is known as "The Beehive," for obvious reasons. This section of the city is quite near to the ferry wharf and train station.

















The old and the new. A former bank building is now a pub and offices, and behind it is the IBM building.
























I hesitate sharing this, because I'm sure I'll get past it. I finally got to visit the Dept. of Conservation office this morning, and was surprised when the official discouraged me from doing any tramps by myself, especially in or near the mountains. Maps are no longer free, and topo maps are expensive here, so that was a bummer. Top that off with a frustrating conversation and I'm thinking of spending an extra day or two here in Wellington just to get my act together. I need to buy a tent and stove, anyway, and I want to explore the Te Papa Tongarewa Museum, and was planning on being here until Nov. 2nd. Maybe one more day to get organized is best.

I've been trying to arrange transportation to either the Egmont/Taranaki National Park (quite a ways to the southwest) or just a bit north to the Mt. Holdsworth Track (more difficult to get to). There is a train to a town nearby each, but then the local transport is expensive and has been a bit difficult to schedule. Lots of people tramping this time of year! At worst, I may have to camp out for a few days near the towns or at the base of the tracks.

I also read in the local paper in Kaikoura several days ago that the more popular Great Walks were already booked up (Abel Tasman, Milford, Routeburn), but that didn't discourage me because I can always tramp one day and not use any of the huts, or there are other tramps right nearby that are less popular but have their attractions. Camping is even getting tough to book, however!

No worries. At least, not yet. It will just take a bit more time than I'd like, I think, to arrange things.

No comments: