In The Beginning ...

... there were healthy feet. This blog will track my journey to Africa, Australia and New Zealand - the fulfillment of a childhood dream of climbing Kilimanjaro, and the experience of a dream adventure: making safari and exploring a bit of our world.

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Itinerary - October 9 - 19

October 9 - Fly from Sydney to Twonsville (6:40 am - I hate that!)

October 10 & 11 - diving and exploring Magnetic Island. I'm staying at the Bungalow Bay Resort (http://www.bungalowbay.com.au/).

October 12 - Greyhound to Arlie Beech (actually to Proserpine, then local transportation). I'll be staying at Club Crocdile (http://www.clubcroc.com.au/) for one night, then sailing on the Pacific Star (unconfirmed as of this writing) for 2 days of diving (overnights on the boat). Then one more day at Club Croc.

October 18 - fly or bus to Sydney. The bus trip is overnight, and would get me directly to the International Terminal. But ... overnight on a bus? It's lots cheaper than flying, but.... Stay tuned.

October 19 - On to Christchurch.

October 20 - Spirit of New Zealand Tour on The Magic Bus (Really - The Magic Bus). This saves me having to hassle buying and then selling a car, and goes to all the major stops on the North and South Islands. This tour allows passengers to get off and stay as long as they like, so long as the entire trip is completed within 6 months. OK, I can do that!

I've decided to go with the tour itinerary and work north from Christchurch to Picton, then over to Wellington on the North Island. Back through Picton, eventually, and down the west coast to Queenstown, with stops at the glaciers and the fjords along the way. I'll end up going through Dunedin (done-EE-din) and end up in Christchurch. If I really want to go as far south as I can go, I'll have to arrange that myself.

I then have to arrange to fly back to Auckland - which is simple - in order to catch a flight to Sydney on December 30 - for New Year's Eve!

Turns out there are TWO fireworks displays that night - one at 9 pm and the other at midnight! No way will there be room at the Opera House, but there is plenty of lawn space around the harbour. I don't yet have an accommodation for that part of the trip - I'm still waiting on the Educators' B & B - which has not worked out for me yet. Hope springs eternal!

No comments: